Monday, August 2, 2010

Dream Home Design

Back in elementary school I used to write my cousin Samantha who lives in another state. We would draw sketches of our house because one day we were going to live together on a horse farm! While the drawings were simple and we've since abandoned our horse farm dream (although she currently lives with her husband and baby on a real farm), I still remember how fun it was to put my dreams down on paper. 

If you have thought of building your own home someday, assuming you haven't already, have you ever sat down and actually tried to sketch up a floorplan? Recently, after telling Andy how I knew what I wanted in our future home, he encouraged me to draw it up and we might even be able to get a cost to build estimate. After multiple attempts I've come to realize that I need the help - it's so difficult!

My laundry list of wants: 
  • 4 bed
  • 3+ bath
  • 2 story
  • 2 car garage  
  • Library/study
  • Spanish/Mediterranean influence outside
  • Lots of storage (large closets, pantry, linen closets...)
  • Tons of light, relatively open floor plan
  • Limited "wasted space" - No living room that's just for show or formal dining room that gets used 1-2 times a year 
  • Moderately sized rooms - I don't need a sofa in the master bath or a whole living room in the bedroom! Cozy, but not cramped, is key!
  • Bedroom closets accessible from the bedroom - I don't want to have to walk through the bathroom to get to the closet
  • Master bath: separate toilet, single sink but plenty of counter space, jetted tub, doorless walk-in shower (Andy's wish)
Are there any must haves on your list? If so, what are they?

Photobucket

0 comments:

Post a Comment