Wednesday, June 23, 2010

DIY - Headboard Edition

I've been wanting a headboard for a while now and I've finally decided to try and make my own! The first time I looked at headboards I was hit with major sticker shock. So when my old roommate and friend Megan made her own I was inspired. I may not be quite as crafty as her, but I figured it's worth a shot, especially if it means saving a few hundred dollars!

I plan to keep it simple by making a rectangular headboard, no fancy sawing and upholstering involved. It's also important to me that it be a full length headboard, not just a small version that gets hung on the wall. First, I prefer the look when you can't tell that it ends right below the pillows and second, I like to avoid putting any extra holes in the wall whenever possible.

As far as the fabric, I was envisioning a neutral fabric color such as beige or light green that is likely go with whatever bedding we have. Something like the photos below:

x1

However, during a recent trip to Jo-Ann fabrics to get an idea what our options are Andy rejected my neutral idea in favor of something bold with a cool pattern. My main concern is that if we have a bold headboard our bedding options will be limited to a solid that compliments the headboard and finding bedding is difficult enough without any color and pattern constraints.

Now, I will admit that Andy usually goes along with my decor choices so I'm trying to hear him out on this one. I turned to decorpad to see if I could find some bold headboards for inspiration. Here are a few I found:

Photobucket

Never one to jump into anything, I'm still mulling over all the options. (This is where Andy would jump in and tell you about some study that concludes that too many choices make people less happy because they continue to question their decision even after they've made their selection.) In the meantime I'm also drawing up plans for the headboard and making a list of all the supplies I will need.

Photobucket

0 comments:

Post a Comment