Saturday, May 22, 2010

Vacation, Day 5

Sorry for my lack of posting this week. I was preparing for seeing my very first patients. I could go into all the interesting things I saw, but my guess is no one would have a clue what I'm talking about or even care. In a nutshell, I have glaucoma service on Tuesdays so I see only patients that have glaucoma or are at risk for developing it. However, most of these patients are older and have other things going on with their eyes as well so it can definitely be a challenge. Fridays I see "regular" patients, although they can come in with anything, including glaucoma as one of my patients did yesterday. Thankfully I survived my first week, woohoo! Now, back to the story...


Tuesday May 4th

Andy woke up to a very unpleasant surprise - a tick latched onto his side! (You'll be glad to know I don't have any pictures to share) I tried to remove it, which involved lots of squealing and shrieking in disgust, but I was only partially successful in my endeavors. We spent two hours waiting at a walk in clinic to get the remainder of the nasty parasite removed and to get prophylactic antibiotics for Lyme disease. Since we missed our continental breakfast at the hotel (which Andy had been very much looking forward too) we grabbed a quick lunch at Rally’s, an equivalent to Checkers (hard to believe we still had an appetite after all that!).

We set out to Sequoia National Forest which involved another very windy drive through steep mountains.

Photobucket
I pulled over at the first sight of snow along the side of the road so we could get out and play. I was totally excited, even for this small amount. As we continued to drive up the mountain the snow went from a few inches to a few feet!

Photobucket
I didn't see snow until I was 20 and even then it wasn't much so I had to get out and frolic some more.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Andy took this photo as I was driving so it's a bit blurry, but if you look on the left it gives you an idea just how much snow there was.

Photobucket
 Part of a fence post and a sign peeking out of the snow.

Photobucket
A stream running through the trees.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Here we are standing in front of General Sherman, the largest tree in the world. It stands 275 feet tall and the diameter at it's base measures 36.5 feet! It's estimated to be between 2,300 and 2,700 years old.

Photobucket
We wanted to go to Moro Rock, but it was still closed due to the snow. Instead we went for a short hike and came across some deer. We also saw a brown bear, but didn't get close enough to get a shot like this!

Photobucket
This was a beautiful spot so we hung out here until the sun set.

Photobucket

Photobucket

0 comments:

Post a Comment